Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

3rd party insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Chat - Paragliding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian
Active Activist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: 3rd party insurance Reply with quote

Does anyone on the foraum know anything aout 3rd party insurance for paragliding in Oman? I've been asking the BHPA in the UK, but their 3rd party insurance is only valid for periods up to 60 days out of the UK. This includes time spent not flying, so those of us working here are ruled out. Is this an issue we should be concerned about?
The BHPA also seemed unsure about whether a non-resident could actually be a member. I'm checking this out with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the BHPA - they can't/wont do it for non residents. It basically covers you as a UK resident for a total of 60 non consecutive days outside the UK. Basically for flying holidays and even then they strongly suggest getting extra insurance.

I fly tandem a fair bit and the problem was even worse in that case. Since the big three insurance claims on the BHPA insurance the cover for instructors and tandem pilots was reduced from 2 million pounds to 25000 pounds. This left the door wide open for injured parties to sue indiviuals.
As a result lots of schools closed and hardly anyone dare fly tandems in the uk any more.

So, in answer to your question, yes i do have info about good third party cover.
Currently i have third liability cover as an instructor, pilot, and tandem pilot with worldwide coverage, to a total of 1.8 million euros. It cost me about 280 quid i think. For a standard solo piloy the annual cost is about 80 quid.

It's a french company called Verspeiren. You can apply and pay online.
If youre interested drop me a line and i'll send you the details.

The cover also includes helicopter recovery, hospital bills and repatriation costs.
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short postscript to the above

Yes i think it is something we as fliers here should be concerned with. Everyone can benefit from having insurance - you just dont know whats going to happen.

Also, you can find the Verspeiren site doing a google but i suggest you contact me before you fill in the online form as there are a couple of foibles that if you dont know about you'll be led off into other huge forms that you actually dont need to fill in.

Incidentally, this insurance can also cover for skiing and snowboarding too i believe.

Blue skies
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
here it is

follow this link

http://extranet.verspieren.com/Aviation/script/devis.asp?langue=anglais&id=9Qs5bQ4aS1diA091

couple of things to look out for:

How were informed of our site? - choose "mouth to ear"
Are you member of a club? - VERY IMPORTANT - choose "NO"

then choose the top part of the form

Insurance Civil Liability Controls and/or Individuelle Accident for pilot/raise
(In this case, the person is ensured for all machines that it controls)

i.e. to insure the pilot in any machine he flies (as opposed to insuring one particular machine) Basically this means youre covered no matter whose paraglider you are flying.

Leave the bottom half of the form blank

fill in the start date

then click the calculate amount button

Civil liability + Individual accidents + assistance

80.00 euros

not bad i reckon.

you give your personal details, card details etc and you can print the policy off right away. They also mail you a copy.

Good luck

Blue skies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Chat - Paragliding All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: